Pages

Friday, March 28, 2014

Thierry & Guy Fat Bastard Pinot Noir 2012 86 Points


Following with my previous post, herewith my view on the maiden vintage Fat Bastard Pinot Noir, a brand that is currently doing very well and growing in demand all over, surprisingly very well made style, delicate ripeness with impressive purity of fruit, shows Pinot character, though the wine spent 20 months in small oak shows no sign the fruit integrity has been compromised, lending subtle spices to the overall crunchy and crisp profile, food wine by excellence it is a Pinot I would like to see in 5 year time however I will not recommend keeping that long, because from experience, it is one of the worst cork closure use to seal a wine, bear in mind I do not sell closure and I do prefer good quality natural cork, but these agglomerate cork, are absolutely rubbish, I have thrown bins of wine contaminated by the glue!! For a wine with a trade price ex VAT of over R 70, surely a better cork could have been use?  

Alcohol: ideal | 12.5 % abv
Origin: Robertson
Notes: cranberry | cherries | strawberries | delicately spicy
Ideal drinking occasions: anytime with food, served lightly chilled
Serve with: grilled duck magret and crunchy roasted root salad

Drink: now until 2016 (see comment on closure)